Skip to main content

The Boy Returns

My oldest son just turned 20.  He is a sophomore in college and is loving the entire post-secondary experience.  He is following in his mama's footsteps and hopes to be a teacher someday.  As a sophomore, he's already had the opportunity for some hands-on experiences at a high school near his university.  My favorite part of each week, is the phone call to discuss his classroom experiences.  I love to hear about the kids he gets the opportunity to work with, and his excitement and  passion for the career are already palpable. 

When he left for college, it wasn't an easy transition for the three of us (mom, dad and younger brother) that were left behind, but we all shared in his enthusiasm and slowly we became accustomed to the new normal and new quiet that grew in our household.  He would visit about once a month, and share his exciting stories of school, friends, professors and dorm life.  We always look forward to those visits and the cherished times we get to spend together.

Our boy graduated high school in 2021.  Almost two years later, and he continues to grow and make us proud, but I'll always long for the days when he was a constant presence at our house.  I'm sure then, you can imagine my delight when he returns home for weekends, breaks or vacations.  This weekend marks the beginning of his spring break, and in lieu of vacationing with his pals, he chose to spend the week with us.  His visit includes countless loads of laundry, his favorite elaborate dinners, a ginormous water bill, following his hour long showers, and some blaring music from time to time.  But, I wouldn't change it for the world.  There is nothing that brings me more happiness than when the boy returns.



Comments

  1. Aww - enjoy! The fleeting appearances of these amazing young people keeps you wishing for more. Have a great week with him home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your description of a child returning home - even briefly - is so true. Your family has a close connection, for sure. What a gift! Enjoy his time with you when you have it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It must be so much fun to discuss teaching with him! How special! I can feel your joy as you describe those phone calls. Your post makes me think of how happy I know my parents were when I would come home from college! I can't even bear to think of my little girls growing up and going away someday... so I guess that's why I'm choosing to connect to your son's role in the story even though you're my colleague, haha! I love the picture you chose to close your post, as it captures the blend of space-he-takes-up and work-he-creates-for-you with your joy that he is home! I love that he chose to spend his break with you instead of going off with friends - that speaks to a special bond you've created!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw this was so sweet and well written and also made me tear up a little, thinking about the day my son will leave and return. He's only in 7th grade, so we have some time, but there will come a day when it changes to 3 in our house when he goes away and that makes me so sad! But I'll have to keep in mind how great it will be when he returns home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you! Two of my four daughters are home this weekend, and it is a beautiful thing to have their computers on my island and their shoes strewn all over the downstairs. I relate to ALL that you've written!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hope: It's Been There the Whole Time

I've always loved hummingbirds.  They start to appear in early spring and they quickly remind me of the lazy days of summer, when I sit on my porch with a cup of tea to watch them flitter about, often battling one another for a drink of nectar at one of my many feeders.   I'm never alone when I relax on my porch with the hummers.  Either my husband, or one of my teenage boys or a friendly neighbor,  joins me for the spell-bounding quiet of our little nature preserve.   The tiny feathered creatures buzz around us as we share the stories of our days, our pasts and our futures.  These moments of calm, in the middle of summer, under the shade of our maple and birch trees, are my favorite.  There is no rush to plan a lesson, grade a paper, answer a phone or check off another item on my to do list.  I can just sit, and observe and talk with those who matter the most. In September, shortly after school starts, the hummingbirds leave for the season.  It's always a sad goodbye for m

Finding Her Smile

For the last two years, I've been a multi-lingual teacher at a middle school in Ohio.  I love my job and I have so much respect for my students who work so hard to learn a second, third or fourth language.  I've attempted to learn a few different languages throughout my life, but I've never had much success.  My personal failure definitely contributes to the respect that I hold for my young scholars who outshine me in their capacity for learning languages. When new multilingual students transition into our middle school and my classroom, I always keep a watchful eye over them.  They have so many hurdles beyond aquiring a new language - from learning new educational expectations and cultural norms to forging new friendships in a foreign land.  For some kids, this transition can be overwhelming and frightening, and can almost swallow them whole.  When this happens, it breaks my heart.  I attempt to do everything I can to take care of their lost spirits.  I try to pair them up

Students & Gardens: A Common Thread of Growth

Hello!  My name is Mrs. B and I'd like to welcome you to my very first blog post! I've had the pleasure of being a middle school teacher for more than 25 years now.  I've always had a passion for teaching and for helping students to grow and reach their full potential, but this post is related to how that passion transformed into a new life-long hobby. In the spring of 2020, when Covid had the world in its grip, I was stuck at home and teaching remotely.  I immediately realized that something was missing from my life.  That something was the constant hands-on interaction I had with my students.  I missed them something fierce.  I missed our conversations, I missed watching them grow and I missed helping them become the young adults they were destined to be. No matter how much time or effort I put into our online learning platform, it just couldn't replace the daily interactions I had with my students.  I found my heart aching for those same connections, and that is when