Skip to main content

Welcome Home

Finally home after a long day at school, I walked in through my front door and was greeted with an absolutely disturbing stench.  "Oh my gosh! What the expletive could that be?" I sniffed around the house, trying to find the source - nearly gagging the entire time.  What could it possibly be?

I round the corner to my living room, and there sits my dog.  Looking guilty as ever. And next to her sits my unopened bottle of Repels All.  In case you don't know what Repels All is, it is used outdoors, after it is diluted, on garden plants, veggies, fruits, flowers, shrubs and trees.  The primary use of Repels All is a repellant or deterrant for basically any type of animal.  The label says it "repels squirrels, deer, rabbits, chipmunks, mice, skunks, rats, beavers, raccoons, porcupines, birds, groundhogs and even more pests!"  Notice, it does NOT say dogs.  And it most definitely did not deter my dog.

I guess I should be thankful, because Repels All is an all natural product and can not cause harm to any animal, but the same can not be said for my couch.  

So, I have two questions for anyone who might be reading this little post:  First, any idea how to get wretched odors out of an entire living space? And second, what surprises have your beloved pets left for you over the years?

Note the bite marks in the top and side of the bottle.  



Comments

  1. I am so sorry for the smell! Dogs can bring in the worst things. I have two dogs, and one of them likes to hunt for moles. One evening he left me a mole head -- not a whole mole, just the little head!
    Maybe it is time for a professional couch steam? Great slice! Welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear! I have used that stuff and it does smell! Does your dog now smell like that also? I agree with Beth a professional cleaning might be needed. Windows wide open and maybe a dog bath? Good Luck home is goes away soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha (funny for me, since I don't have to smell it, right?!) - I really enjoyed the playful tone of this post. My favorite lines were "Notice: It does not say dogs. And it most definitely did not deter my dog." and "... can not cause harm to any animal, but the same cannot be said for my couch"! At least it wasn't a dead mouse, which was my guess from your teaser / opening lines!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh! I bet you were so mad!! Your dog is definitely in the dog house tonight. I have no idea how to get things clean, but I hope you can figure it out. Perhaps hire a professional?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah yuck! I hope you were able to get the smell out -- and keep your dog away from it in the future!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Students & Gardens: A Common Thread of Growth

Hello!  My name is Mrs. B and I'd like to welcome you to my very first blog post! I've had the pleasure of being a middle school teacher for more than 25 years now.  I've always had a passion for teaching and for helping students to grow and reach their full potential, but this post is related to how that passion transformed into a new life-long hobby. In the spring of 2020, when Covid had the world in its grip, I was stuck at home and teaching remotely.  I immediately realized that something was missing from my life.  That something was the constant hands-on interaction I had with my students.  I missed them something fierce.  I missed our conversations, I missed watching them grow and I missed helping them become the young adults they were destined to be. No matter how much time or effort I put into our online learning platform, it just couldn't replace the daily interactions I had with my students.  I found my heart aching for those same connections, and that is when

Hope: It's Been There the Whole Time

I've always loved hummingbirds.  They start to appear in early spring and they quickly remind me of the lazy days of summer, when I sit on my porch with a cup of tea to watch them flitter about, often battling one another for a drink of nectar at one of my many feeders.   I'm never alone when I relax on my porch with the hummers.  Either my husband, or one of my teenage boys or a friendly neighbor,  joins me for the spell-bounding quiet of our little nature preserve.   The tiny feathered creatures buzz around us as we share the stories of our days, our pasts and our futures.  These moments of calm, in the middle of summer, under the shade of our maple and birch trees, are my favorite.  There is no rush to plan a lesson, grade a paper, answer a phone or check off another item on my to do list.  I can just sit, and observe and talk with those who matter the most. In September, shortly after school starts, the hummingbirds leave for the season.  It's always a sad goodbye for m