Skip to main content

Students & Gardens: A Common Thread of Growth

Hello!  My name is Mrs. B and I'd like to welcome you to my very first blog post!

I've had the pleasure of being a middle school teacher for more than 25 years now.  I've always had a passion for teaching and for helping students to grow and reach their full potential, but this post is related to how that passion transformed into a new life-long hobby.

In the spring of 2020, when Covid had the world in its grip, I was stuck at home and teaching remotely.  I immediately realized that something was missing from my life.  That something was the constant hands-on interaction I had with my students.  I missed them something fierce.  I missed our conversations, I missed watching them grow and I missed helping them become the young adults they were destined to be.

No matter how much time or effort I put into our online learning platform, it just couldn't replace the daily interactions I had with my students.  I found my heart aching for those same connections, and that is when I ended up finding solace in gardening.  I'd never gardened before, but I decided to jump in head first with hundreds of tiny seeds from my local gardening store.  Within a few short days, my seeds began to sprout and I had discovered a much-needed outlet for nurturing growth during a time of so much uncertainty and stress.

After much reflection, I realized that my connection to nature resembles the same connection I have to my students.  While these may seem like separate passions, I believe that they share a common thread: the desire to help things grow and flourish.  Ive grown as a gardener, the same way I grow as a teacher.  I make mistakes, I search for resolutions, I learn and then I try again.

When it comes to helping students grow, there is nothing more beautiful than seeing the progress they can make throughout the year.  Whether it's in their academic abilities or their personal development, it's incredibly rewarding to know that I play a small role in helping them to achieve their goals.  I love being able to provide a supportive environment where my students feel safe to take risks, ask questions and develop as learners.  Watching them gain confidence and become independent young adults is truly a privilege.

On the other hand, caring for my garden can be just as fulfilling.  There is something magical about watching a tiny seedling grow into a mature plant, or seeing a flower bloom for the first time.  I've found that gardening requires the same skill sets as teaching: patience, attention to details, and a deep understanding of the individual plants (or students!) I work with.

I whole-heartedly believe that my love for helping students and my passion for gardening are deeply intertwined.  Both require a commitment to growth, a willingness to learn and a deep appreciation for all living things.  Whether I am in my classroom or my garden, I will always be grateful for the opportunity to contribute to the growth and flourishing of those around me.

Yours in Peace, Love and Flowers.

☮️ ❤️ 🌸

Mrs. B




Comments

  1. I love the story of how you started gardening during the height of the pandemic. I heard of so many people baking, etc. but gardening just seems like the perfect way to have found real hope in that time; I'm surprised I didn't hear of more people taking that up! I love how you connected it with teaching and how it was just a different way to fill that part of your soul! I especially loved your last paragraph! <3 So glad you're writing this year, Kristen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennifer! Thanks for inspiring me! I'm excited to be here! :)

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on starting a blog and joining the challenge. This is a wonderful community. There are so many metaphorical parrallels (I think those are the words I want!) between gardening and teaching. And watching them both grow is a wonderful sight. Lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never could have imagined the parallels, but they are so beautiful now that I recognize them!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Finding Her Smile

For the last two years, I've been a multi-lingual teacher at a middle school in Ohio.  I love my job and I have so much respect for my students who work so hard to learn a second, third or fourth language.  I've attempted to learn a few different languages throughout my life, but I've never had much success.  My personal failure definitely contributes to the respect that I hold for my young scholars who outshine me in their capacity for learning languages. When new multilingual students transition into our middle school and my classroom, I always keep a watchful eye over them.  They have so many hurdles beyond aquiring a new language - from learning new educational expectations and cultural norms to forging new friendships in a foreign land.  For some kids, this transition can be overwhelming and frightening, and can almost swallow them whole.  When this happens, it breaks my heart.  I attempt to do everything I can to take care of their lost spirits.  I try to pair them up

Hope: It's Been There the Whole Time

I've always loved hummingbirds.  They start to appear in early spring and they quickly remind me of the lazy days of summer, when I sit on my porch with a cup of tea to watch them flitter about, often battling one another for a drink of nectar at one of my many feeders.   I'm never alone when I relax on my porch with the hummers.  Either my husband, or one of my teenage boys or a friendly neighbor,  joins me for the spell-bounding quiet of our little nature preserve.   The tiny feathered creatures buzz around us as we share the stories of our days, our pasts and our futures.  These moments of calm, in the middle of summer, under the shade of our maple and birch trees, are my favorite.  There is no rush to plan a lesson, grade a paper, answer a phone or check off another item on my to do list.  I can just sit, and observe and talk with those who matter the most. In September, shortly after school starts, the hummingbirds leave for the season.  It's always a sad goodbye for m